Check out the data report here, complete with the most memorable images from the leg.
52.9920000; -129.4716700; Effort 4; Mode FUL; RUB index 3814. Sighting 03; Sp HW; Grp size 15-14-17; Grp comp NA; Bhvr NA; Conf NA%; Located central estevan; i estimate 16 in this group—hearing feeding calls—excellent burps—beautiful social calls—you can hear breaths and everythings through water—feeding calls now—two callers—repositioning vessel—Bubble net feeding group in south Estevan Sound. Absolutely incredible.—Dalls feeding at the surface—1 possible calf fluke—engine off again—the group is milling around us now and we are drifting without engine—pec slaps and tonal blows and lobtails—the group just split into 2
53.2662850; -129.4670816; Effort 4; Mode FIN; RUB index 5085. Sighting 21; Sp HW; Grp size 1-1-1; Grp comp AA; Bhvr FE-D-MILL; Conf 95-66%; Located near twartz bay; robust behavior—
- Second oceanographic circuit complete.
- 30 photo-IDs gathered on the summer solstice!
- Extensive red tide blooms sweep through fjord system.
- Water clarity triples in central channels.
- Schools of herring found in outer channels, sand lance along most shallow shorelines.
- Many more euphausiids occurring in inner channel tows.
- The area’s bubble-net feeding group of humpbacks is now at large in the outer channels.
- Bigg’s killer whales far inland
- Large groups of n whales feeding in north Squally.
- Humpbacks move further inland, into northern channels of Gil Basin
- Canada Day and Fourth of July celebrations!
This and other field reports can also be found here.